I've been going without a land line for a few years now and it's starting to get old. Because of the plan that my wife and I are on with Sprint, it gets rather expensive when I start going over my minutes. And I sure as hell didn't want to fork out the kind of money that the phone and cable companies charge. I'm a Cisco Engineer for Christ's Sake! I should be able to set this up!
So I got my hands on the Cisco uBR924 you see in the rack. It uses H.323, but I couldn't find a reliable H.323 provider to give me a number. And I'm lazy. I'm sure I'll get around to using the H.323 in the modem sooner or later, but I wanted to try this product out anyway. I ended up ordering a MagicJack.
Well, MagicJack doesn't support Server 2003. But the only box that I have that stays on 24/7 is my server. And my server runs... you guessed it... Server 2003. My install went a little like this.
1. Plug the MagicJack into a USB port and let the drivers install.
2. Once the install runs, go to "My Computer" and run the Autorun on the MagicJack drive
3. Let MagicJack install (it downloads its software)
4. Get the message "No audio devices found no output/input devices are found".
5. Curse loudly at computer and say something along the lines of "Oh, you are GOING to work..."
Because I'm an idiot and didn't realize what I was doing, it was flat NOT going to work. The reason being is the only sound driver running was the Microsoft RDP Sound Driver. My server is headless, therefore I needed to be RDP'd into the box. I'm going to go ahead and make a long story short...
I plugged a keyboard into the box and logged in locally. I tried to "mstsc /v:server /console", but it still had the RDP driver. I haven't looked into it, but there may be someway to use the local drivers during that console session. Once I was logged in locally, I shadowed the local session from an RDP session. I turned on the Telephony Service, installed the sound drivers (they weren't installed), and started the Windows Audio service. Once that was done I restarted the MagicJack software and BAM! It worked.
I just found out why the "/console" wasn't working when I was RDPing into the box. It seems that Microsoft changed /console to /admin in Vista for you to login to session 0. Here's the correct way to do it. In XP SP2, you want to run "
In Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista or Windows 7, run %systemroot%\system32\mstsc.exe /admin
If you are using Windows XP < SP3 the command is:%systemroot%\system32\mstsc.exe /console
Once you get the client up, you want to make sure that under the "Local Resources" tab you have the audio options set to "Leave at remote computer". This should fix that damn "No audio devices found no output/input devices are found" problem without having to plug a monitor and all into your server.
From what I've seen so far using WireShark, this is a simple SIP device that runs the G.711 Codec. Pretty straight forward. I'll mess with it some more and get back to you guys.